Bensalem News serving Bensalem, Trevose & Eddington
Thursday, February 19, 2026

BHS Principal Per Responds to Student Walkout: “Mutual Respect Must Always Remain Our Standard”

Share

Bensalem High School Principal Geoffrey Per responded Wednesday to Bensalem Weekly’s request for comment on the student walkout, offering his account of how the protest unfolded and the school’s approach to managing it.

His response provides new details about the lead-up to Tuesday’s protest and walkout — and in some areas, a different picture than the one described by students.

How It Started

Per said the process began on Thursday, February 13, when five students approached him with a flyer and asked to meet about organizing a protest similar to those that had taken place at schools in Montgomery County and were being planned at Pennsbury and Neshaminy. Per said he spent 45 minutes with the group, sharing historical context about past student demonstrations and expressing safety concerns. By the end of the meeting, the students had proposed a 25-minute, student-led protest for the following Tuesday.

Later that evening, while attending the school musical, Per said he learned that the five students had shared details of the meeting with approximately 200 classmates — and had received backlash from peers for working with the administration.

Friday’s Meeting

Per said he met with the larger group of students Friday morning and delivered what he described as several clear messages: that student safety is the school’s top priority, that the issue has created division at the national, community, and school levels, and that students should not direct frustration at one another — particularly the five students who initially came forward.

Students who spoke with Bensalem Weekly offered a different characterization of those conversations. Several described the principal’s remarks during Friday’s meeting and in a school-wide announcement on Tuesday morning as dismissive of their reasons for protesting, contributing to frustration among those committed to walking out.

Per did not directly address those claims in his response.

The Day Of

Per said the school received reports Tuesday morning that some students intended to walk out while others planned to gather in the gymnasium. Given what he described as heightened emotions and social media activity over the weekend, Per addressed the entire student body and staff that morning.

“The central message was clear: respectful dialogue is essential,” Per wrote. “It is acceptable to disagree; it is not acceptable to be disrespectful.”

Approximately 30 to 40 students ultimately walked out, marching from the school along Hulmeville Road to the Bensalem Center and the Bucks County Free Library, where several delivered speeches. A separate group participated in the supervised gymnasium forum. The walkout was peaceful, and there were no reported incidents.

Threats and Discipline

Per said he is not aware of any specific threats made through social media directed at BHS students. This differs from accounts shared with Bensalem Weekly by students who reported receiving threats via social media in the days surrounding the protest. Bensalem Township Councilman Joey Wenzel Jr. had also posted on Facebook ahead of Tuesday that the Council requested police be on high alert, citing threats at Pennsbury and Neshaminy.

On disciplinary measures, Per confirmed that students were informed of potential consequences in advance and that the school followed the district’s student handbook in addressing those who left the building. He declined to comment on individual cases but said all actions were consistent with district policy.

Looking Forward

Per acknowledged the week had been challenging for students and families and emphasized the school’s role in education rather than political advocacy.

“Our responsibility is to educate students and prepare them for their next steps; whether that be college, military service, trade school, or the workforce,” he wrote. “Bensalem High School is one of the most diverse schools in Pennsylvania. With that diversity comes an opportunity to learn from one another, especially when we hold differing opinions. Mutual respect must always remain our standard.”

This is the fourth in a series of Bensalem Weekly articles covering the BHS student walkout. Read our earlier coverage:

E Westfall
E Westfallhttps://bensalemweekly.com
E Westfall is the new Publisher and Editor of Bensalem Weekly. A resident of the township for a decade, Eric launched the publication to solve a personal frustration: the constant struggle to find out what was actually happening in town. After years of missing grand openings, finding out about concerts too late, and digging through minutes to understand why school taxes were going up, he decided to build the solution himself. His goal for Bensalem Weekly is simple: to stop the "hunting and searching" and give residents one reliable place for both hard news and local life.

Read more

Bensalem News